Therapy and Wellness Connection is a one-stop-shop for early intervention and habilitative therapy, individualized education and long-term support services for young adults and children with disabilities in Cleveland, Akron and surrounding communities. We offer speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, ABA therapy - and much more.
We help clients build key skills for speech and language, socialization, freedom of movement, emotional and behavioral health, academic growth and everyday life functions.
Our enthusiastic team of professionals is dedicated to delivering the highest-quality therapy, education and support services for young adults and children with disabilities in Northeast Ohio.
Therapy and Wellness Connection Services
- Speech Language Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA)/ Behavioral Therapy
- Private Tutoring for Reading, Math, Handwriting and More
- Life Skills Courses
- Vocational Training and Support Services
- Summer Camps
- Therapeutic Home School
- Supplemental Therapy Services (music therapy, equine therapy, field trips, etc.)
- Day Programs (Full- and Half-Day)
- Parental Support Groups and Counseling
We approach pediatric therapy from an interdisciplinary perspective, fostering collaboration with therapists and educators from all disciplines at our Brecksville clinic. We also encourage therapy services for practical applications at home, school, work and community settings throughout Broadview Heights, Cleveland, Akron and surrounding areas.
Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy and Behavioral Therapy in Northeast Ohio
The core of what we do at Therapy and Wellness and Connection is pediatric therapy – specifically speech-language therapy, occupational therapy and behavioral therapy (ABA).
Pediatric therapy for children with disabilities is not a Band-Aid. It will take time, as it’s part of a long-term strategy involving customized, science-based techniques exercised over the course of months or years. Ultimately, the goal is to maximize participation in meaningful daily routines and activities – no matter what the underlying condition.
Most clients will receive some combination of:
- Speech Therapy. Speech therapy in Cleveland is essential to addressing communication difficulties, often the result of developmental delays, disorders or other conditions. Speech-language disorders are often associated with certain diagnoses, such as autism spectrum disorder, Down syndrome, apraxia of speech or delays. Clients may have difficulty with actual speech (producing words and sounds) or with language (effectively conveying and receiving word meanings). Of the 6.1 million children with disabilities who receive special education under IDEA in public schools, about 1.1 million are categorized as having speech or language impairments. Private therapy is often recommended in addition to school-based treatment (with differing goals, schools focused on academics, whereas private therapy is focused on function for daily life). Comprehensive evaluations and Cleveland speech therapy itself does require physician referral. As a courtesy for parents who aren’t sure whether they have any cause for concern, we offer brief, free initial speech and language screenings. Therapy and Wellness Connection is committed to providing the best speech language therapy in Northeast Ohio.
- Occupational Therapy. Occupational therapy (OT for short) is a medical intervention involving building or rebuilding one’s ability to engage in meaningful life skills. With children, it’s most frequently used to assist those with disabilities or delays catch up to their peers in areas ranging from hygiene and dressing to handwriting and organizing homework. Our patients need specialized assistance to lead independent, productive and satisfying lives. It’s our promise to do everything in our power to help make that happen.
- Physical Therapy. Physical therapy (PT for short) is a medical intervention that can be rehabilitative or habilitative, designed to assist those with traumatic injuries, birth injuries or conditions that affect strength, balance and coordination. Focus can include improvement of gross motor skills or fine motor skills. Pediatric physical therapists seek to reduce pain and improve function and independence in daily life.
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), Behavioral Therapy. Applied Behavior Analysis – also known as ABA – is a relatively new therapy, but it’s based on the solid science of understanding human behavior, with goals to improve social and communication skills, reading and academic performance and develop adaptive learning skills like dexterity in fine motor, grooming and hygiene and general independence. It tends to be most effective as an intervention for children with autism spectrum disorder when offered intensively before the age of 4. ABA /behavioral therapy is provided by Therapy and Wellness Connection partners at Thrive Therapy and Social Center at our Brecksville clinic.
All therapies are offered one-on-one, though we do encourage co-treatment with more than one therapist. For additional support, we offer numerous day program group therapies, social learning courses, functional fitness and summer camp through Thrive and Therapy and Wellness Connection. We also began offering teletherapy and distance learning in 2020.
Other Programs Offered at Therapy and Wellness Connection and Thrive Social Center
Therapy and Wellness Connection is committed to providing an enriching daily experience that ensures your child’s hours with us are productive but also packed with fun and many opportunities to discover a new interest, exercise their creativity or make a friend.
Our team offers tutoring, summer camp and aftercare (inclusive of both patients and non-patients of all abilities), therapeutic home schooling and individualized education services, day programs, and vocational skill courses. We also connect families to general wellness services like counseling.
Our programs incorporate a range of recreational outings and opportunities for unique learning experiences, as well as connection to alternative therapies, such as music therapy, equine therapy, art therapy and dance classes.
Some of our target-focused special needs Therapy Groups include:
- Literacy & Language – Group therapy is ideal for children with speech/ language diagnoses, those preparing for kindergarten and who struggle with reading. This program focuses on improving children’s vocabulary, grammar, reading comprehension, phonological awareness and behavior with direction-following skills.
- Say n Play – This group therapy offers a fun, socially-centered opportunity to produce sounds, learn new words, follow directions and be part of the group. Some activities include crafts, story-time, songs, games and more.
- OT Group – This occupational therapy group focuses on sensory tools, “zones of regulation,” social interaction and vocational skills, such as cooking. We also plan fun community outings, play games, take on creative projects and more.
Thrive Therapy and Social Center offers these courses at our Brecksville therapy clinic, tailored to meet the needs for a group with similar ages, areas of interests and functional challenges. Courses include:
- Building Friendships Through Play (greetings, joining in, asking someone to play, cooperating, functional play).
- Getting Along With Friends (meeting, making and keeping friends).
- Moving on With Friends (problem-solving, perspective-taking, bullies, unwritten rules of friendship).
- Formulas for Social Success (skills and motivations necessary to make good impressions, establish a positive reputation, recognize what others thing and respect authority).
- Self-Advocacy and Self-Management (socially appropriate behavior, listening skills, conversation repair strategies, reputation and being assertive).
- Social Boundaries (dramatic changes in social and behavioral success, self-management, perspective taking and critically important social rules and expectations).
- Tweens/ Teens and Tame Technology (appropriate boundaries and expectations for safe, healthy online friendships and relationships).
- Young Adults Group (personal and social issues in a group therapy format addressing self-reflection, goal-setting and other tools necessary to be independent and maintain positive relationships).
- Functional Reading (assists readers of all ages and levels in improving their reading comprehension for school, work and enjoyment).
Another of our partners, Effective Counseling Solutions, offers counseling for children, teens and adults for treatment of anxiety, depression, social problems, family distress, trauma and behavior issues.
Clinical methods we employ in our therapy services include:
- Developmental Theory
- Social Thinking Curriculum
- Zones of Regulation
- SuperFlex Curriculum
- Holistic Theory, a theory that stresses the importance of looking at the whole child during therapy
- SCERTS® Model
- The Play Project
- Gestalt Cycle of Experience Theory
- Information Processing Sensory Integration Theory
- Metacognitive Theory
- Positive Behavioral Supports
- Social Pragmatic Theory – a theory in which social interaction is believed to be essential for language development
- Theories of The Explosive Child by Ross Greene, Ph.D.
- Talk Tools training
Therapy and Wellness Connection is in a class of its own in terms of the wide range of services it offers for children with disabilities in Cleveland, Brecksville, Broadview Heights and Akron. The advantage is in our unique approach to therapy, which doesn’t confine progress to a single time and place.
We want to make sure our patients get the most out of therapy. Let us know what we can do to make the experience even more fulfilling for you or your child. We look forward to helping connect you and your child to a life without limitations.
For more information about Cleveland pediatric speech therapy, occupational therapy, behavioral therapy (ABA) and physical therapy at Therapy and Wellness Connection, Contact Us Online or call our office (330) 748-4807. Our educational services and multidisciplinary therapy are available in Brecksville, Broadview Heights, Cleveland, Akron and surrounding communities.