Therapy and Wellness Connection is a one-stop-shop for early intervention and habilitative therapy, individualized education and long-term support services for young adults and children with disabilities in Cleveland, Akron and surrounding communities. We offer speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, ABA therapy - and much more.
We help clients build key skills for speech and language, socialization, freedom of movement, emotional and behavioral health, academic growth and everyday life functions.
Our enthusiastic team of professionals is dedicated to delivering the highest-quality therapy, education and support services for young adults and children with disabilities in Northeast Ohio.
Therapy and Wellness Connection Services
- Speech Language Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA)/ Behavioral Therapy
- Private Tutoring for Reading, Math, Handwriting and More
- Life Skills Courses
- Vocational Training and Support Services
- Thrive Summer Camp (for kids of all ages & abilities!)
- Home Schooling
- Supplemental Therapy Services (music therapy, equine therapy, field trips, etc.)
- Day Programs (Full- and Half-Day)
- Parental Support Groups and Counseling
We approach pediatric therapy from a holistic, interdisciplinary perspective. We extend therapy services with practical applications at home, school, work and community settings throughout Broadview Heights, Cleveland, Akron and surrounding areas.
Speech, Occupational, Physical & ABA Therapy
Pediatric therapy is the core of what we do at Therapy and Wellness and Connection. Specifically, we offer speech-language therapy, occupational therapy and behavioral therapy (ABA).
Pediatric therapy for children with disabilities is not a Band-Aid. It will take time. It's part of a long-term strategy involving science-based techniques to help kids develop key skills over months or years. Ultimately, the goal is to maximize independent participation in meaningful daily routines and activities – no matter what the underlying condition.
Therapies we offer include:
- Speech Therapy. Speech therapy in Cleveland is essential to addressing communication difficulties, often the result of developmental delays, disorders or other conditions. Speech-language disorders are often associated with certain diagnoses, such as autism spectrum disorder, Down syndrome, apraxia of speech or delays. Clients may have difficulty with actual speech (producing words and sounds) or with language (effectively conveying and receiving word meanings). Comprehensive evaluations and Cleveland speech therapy requires physician referral. As a courtesy for parents who aren’t sure whether they have any cause for concern, we offer free initial speech and language screenings. Therapy and Wellness Connection is committed to providing the best speech-language therapy in Northeast Ohio.
- Occupational Therapy. Occupational therapy (OT for short) is a medical intervention involving building or rebuilding one’s ability to engage in meaningful life skills. With kids, it’s most frequently used to assist those with disabilities or delays catch up to their peers in areas ranging from basic gross motor skills to handwriting to social skills. Our patients need specialized assistance to lead independent, productive and fulfilling lives. We're dedicated to doing all we can to help make that happen.
- Physical Therapy. Physical therapy (PT for short) is a medical intervention that can be rehabilitative or habilitative, designed to assist those with traumatic injuries, birth injuries or conditions that affect strength, balance and coordination. Focus can include improvement of gross motor skills or fine motor skills. Pediatric physical therapists seek to reduce pain and improve function and independence in daily life.
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), Behavioral Therapy. Applied Behavior Analysis – also known as ABA – is a relatively new therapy, but it’s based on the solid science of understanding human behavior. It's considered the gold standard treatment for autism spectrum disorder (ASD), though it isn't limited to that condition. Goals are mainly to improve social and communication skills, reading and academic performance and develop adaptive learning skills like dexterity in fine motor, grooming and hygiene and general independence. It tends to be most effective as an intervention for children with autism when offered intensively before the age of 4, though we can start at any age. ABA /behavioral therapy is provided by our partners at Thrive Therapy and Social Center in our Brecksville clinic.
All therapies are offered one-on-one, though we may sometimes co-treat with more than one therapist.
For additional support, we offer numerous day program group therapies, social learning courses, functional fitness, vocational skills and summer camp. We also began offering teletherapy and distance learning in 2020. Although we've resumed in-person treatment since then, we maintain the virtual option for patients who prefer it.
Alternative therapy is all about enrichment, exploration and engagement. Some alternative therapies we offer/arrange include:
- Music therapy
- Equine therapy
- Art therapy
- Dance classes/therapy
These, along with our therapy groups, are an excellent supplement to our traditional therapies.
- Literacy & Language – Group therapy is ideal for children with speech/ language diagnoses, those preparing for kindergarten and who struggle with reading. This program focuses on improving children’s vocabulary, grammar, reading comprehension, phonological awareness and behavior with direction-following skills.
- Say n Play – This group therapy offers a fun, socially-centered opportunity to produce sounds, learn new words, follow directions and be part of the group. Some activities include crafts, story-time, songs, games and more.
- OT Group – This occupational therapy group focuses on sensory tools, “zones of regulation,” social interaction and vocational skills, such as cooking. We also plan fun community outings, play games, take on creative projects and more.
Thrive Therapy & Social Center offers these courses at our Brecksville therapy clinic, tailored to meet the needs for a group with similar ages, interests and functional challenges. Courses include:
- Building Friendships Through Play (greetings, joining in, asking someone to play, cooperating, functional play).
- Getting Along With Friends (meeting, making and keeping friends).
- Moving on With Friends (problem-solving, perspective-taking, bullies, unwritten rules of friendship).
- Formulas for Social Success (skills and motivations necessary to make good impressions, establish a positive reputation, recognize what others thing and respect authority).
- Self-Advocacy and Self-Management (socially appropriate behavior, listening skills, conversation repair strategies, reputation and being assertive).
- Social Boundaries (dramatic changes in social and behavioral success, self-management, perspective taking and critically important social rules and expectations).
- Tweens/ Teens and Tame Technology (appropriate boundaries and expectations for safe, healthy online friendships and relationships).
- Young Adults Group (personal and social issues in a group therapy format addressing self-reflection, goal-setting and other tools necessary to be independent and maintain positive relationships).
- Functional Reading (assists readers of all ages and levels in improving their reading comprehension for school, work and enjoyment).
Parent Support, Training and Counseling
Parents are an integral part of our Therapy and Wellness Connection team. We take the time to educate and train parents on therapeutic principles and techniques to encourage carry-over in daily life and faster generalization of skills. We also facilitate parent support groups and organize different events and group play dates to help parents connect with each other.
We do encourage parents who may be struggling with their own mental/emotional stresses (very common in families of children with special needs!) to reach out to our partners at Effective Counseling Solutions, which offers counseling for children, teens and adults suffering from anxiety, depression, social problems, family distress, trauma and more.
Connecting Kids & Families to Success
Therapy and Wellness Connection is in a class of its own in terms of the wide range of services it offers for children with disabilities in Cleveland, Brecksville, Broadview Heights and Akron. The advantage is in our unique approach to therapy, which is holistic and takes place wherever you need it most.
We want to make sure our patients get the most out of therapy, schooling, relationships and life. We look forward to helping connect you and your child to a life without limitations.
For more information about Cleveland pediatric speech therapy, occupational therapy, behavioral therapy (ABA) and physical therapy at Therapy and Wellness Connection, Contact Us Online or call our office (330) 748-4807. Our educational services and multidisciplinary therapy are available in Brecksville, Broadview Heights, Cleveland, Akron and surrounding communities.