Therapy and Wellness Connection offers a broad range educational programs and support services for children and adults with disabilities throughout the Cleveland-Akron area to promote long-term success, independence and quality of life.
These programs include:
- Home School and Day Programs
- Therapy Groups
- Thrive Summer Camp
- Vocational skills training
- Before- and after-care
- Alternative therapies
- Parent training/instruction
- Connection to counseling services
Each reflects our dedication to holistic treatment. Programs are based at our Brecksville clinic, but we seize every opportunity to venture out in the Cleveland-Akron area, pursuing hands-on learning, movement, growth and inclusion.
What Makes Therapy and Wellness Connection Programs Special
The hands-on approach of therapists and team members makes these programs possible, enriching and fun. These programs are need-driven and therapist-led. Speech therapists, occupational therapists, behavior therapists and physical therapists offering direct, hands-on support as well as involved in activity and theme planning.
Therapy and Wellness Connection’s specialized program services are designed to:
- Spark interest/motivate
- Promote positive social interactions
- Address specific therapy targets
- Reduce stigmas and increase awareness
- Improve communication skills
- Adapt to a variety of stimulus
- Foster meaningful friendships
- Incorporate integrated therapy principles
- Build confidence and self-esteem
- Boost creativity
- Encourage independence
- Prepare for real world challenges
- HAVE FUN!!!
We partner with Cleveland-Akron-area higher education institutions, vocational services and recreation activity providers throughout Northeast Ohio to ensure everyone gets the most of each program.
We also have numerous, year-round options for alternative therapies.
Alternative therapy is all about enrichment, exploration and engagement that drives home principles of traditional therapy. Some alternative therapies we offer/arrange include:
- Music therapy
- Equine therapy
- Art therapy
- Dance classes/therapy
We’re constantly tailoring our services to best meet the needs of this community. We will do everything in our power to make sure no one misses out on the chance to be involved.
Children of all ages and abilities are welcome at our inclusive, therapist-led Thrive Summer Camp. Fun weekly themes and regular field trips keep kids engaged and offer ample opportunity to play, move, explore, create and connect. Campers with special needs will have the benefit of therapist supervision/ involvement to promote greater generalization of therapy goals like improved communication, independence and appropriate behavior.
Thrive Summer Camp offers unique benefits like:
- Minimum two therapists from multiple disciplines always present
- High therapist-to-student ratios (ensuring children are safe and get the most from the experience)
- Real-world outings (horse farms, zoos, science centers, Cleveland Metroparks, etc.)
- Opportunities for inclusion of typically-developing siblings, friends, relatives - and anyone else who wants to be a part of this popular program!
- Sibling and family-member volunteer helpers
Thrive Summer Camp is a special chance for all children to experience new things, make a few friends, learn critical skills in real-world settings and hopefully glean some lifelong fond memories.
Children of ALL abilities are Welcome at Thrive Summer Camp!
Benefits of inclusive summer camps:
- Typically-developing kids learn understanding, tolerance, acceptance and appreciation.
- Children with social/language/behavioral deficits get practice interacting with peers, following directions, abiding the same rules, respecting and establishing personal boundaries.
- Everyone gets to discover new things daily – together!
Tutoring services for children with disabilities in Brecksville, Ohio is available at Therapy and Wellness Connection. Academic success is critical to an independent future. Tutoring services are available for children and teens in Akron, Cleveland, Broadview Heights, Brecksville and surrounding areas.
Tutoring clients receive one-on-one individualized schoolwork assistance in a program that offers:
- Tutors certified in the Wilson Language Training program, which incorporates multi-sensory reading and learning tools for children with all types of disabilities and challenges, including autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia and other conditions associated with learning delays and challenges.
- Oversight by intervention specialists, professionals with a master’s degree who are educated in designing differentiated curricula for students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs). These individuals typically work full-time at a school, but contract with Therapy and Wellness Connection to develop individualized tutoring programs for each student.
- Reading specialists specifically for children who need help learning to read.
- Tutoring curricula with a heavy emphasis on math, reading and handwriting.
Tutoring is offered year-round to help your child keep pace with their peers.
Home School / Alternative Education / Day Programs
(Teaching the way THEY learn!)
If your child is struggling in a mainstream school or if you need assistance with homeschooling: Let us help.
Many children with disabilities have difficulty in traditional public school settings. Therapy and Wellness Connection offers high-quality, flexible education programs, life skills and vocational services adapted to the needs of the individual.
Classes are every weekday at our Brecksville therapy clinic from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Courses are designed to incorporate core subjects, abide state standards and align with Common Core curricula – all taught in a manner modified to improve participation, confidence and retention. If your gets other therapies from us: Consider this a one-stop-shop. Adding to their progress is the fact that academic instructors always have the benefit of nearby therapists and development professionals who know your child – their motivators, triggers and personalities – if questions or issues ever arise.
Many of our education services are formulated with a project-based curriculum covering all required subject areas, yet keeping students engaged and poised for success.
We often incorporate alternative therapies - incorporating music, dance, and equine experiences - into our Home School Day Programs.
No child is unteachable, they simply learn differently. Let us help.
Virtual School Options
When the COVID-19 pandemic forced the closure of schools AND private therapy clinics, providers of these essential services needed to get creative.
Therapy and Wellness Connection wasted no time in launching teletherapy services for our speech, occupational, physical and ABA therapy patients. We also spent the months that followed on-boarding options for virtual school and online tutoring.
We first began offering the distance learning option during the 2020-2021 school year, and plan to continue for as long as there is demand for it.
Teen, Young Adult Vocational Skills Services
Many teens and young adults with disabilities struggle to land their first job and maintain steady employment. Let us help with vocational skills and training.
Many of “our kids” don’t outgrow the need for additional support services once they turn 18 or leave high school. That’s why we offer tailored vocational skills services at Therapy and Wellness Connection.
To prepare clients for the work world, we offer assistance with a range of professional skill sets, including:
- Creating a resume
- Filling out an employment application
- Preparing for a job interview
- Requesting reasonable accommodations from employers (as required under the Americans with Disabilities Act)
- Navigating social interactions with supervisors, co-workers and customers
We partner with local higher education institutions (primarily Baldwin Wallace University) as well as local employers throughout Northeast Ohio to help ease the transition for our clients from a system of intensive support to greater independence. Many businesses have enthusiastically embraced our facilitation of these employment arrangements and ensuring long-term success. Our clients land the opportunity to be part of a team, to contribute to carve out their own independence. Their employers gain workers who are competent, committed and contribute to team member diversity. Several area employers trust Therapy and Wellness Connection professionals as an ongoing resource and contact for regulatory compliance, employee education/awareness and possible new hires.
We teach employers how to set clear and realistic expectations, issue effective direction and offer practical tools to handle whatever complications may arise. We also help companies identify potential ADA-compliance issues and solutions, provide ongoing on-site supports to clients and help ensure everyone is happy with the employment arrangement.
Parent Support, Training and Counseling
Parents are an integral part of our Therapy and Wellness Connection team. No child or person exists in a bubble, and the day-to-day challenges of raising, protecting and advocating for a child with disabilities can be all-consuming.
We take the time educate and train parents on therapeutic principles and techniques to encourage carry-over in daily life and faster generalization of skills.
We also facilitate parent support groups and organize different events and group play dates to help parents connect with each other.
We refer parents to counselors to Effective Counseling Solutions.