Many children with disabilities and special needs struggle with the traditional school structure. Kids with ADHD often need shorter lessons and tests that aren’t timed. Children with Down syndrome might need accommodations for reading, writing, and testing. Kids with dyslexia can benefit from assistive technology and books on tape. Those on the autism spectrum can benefit from visual aids and other accommodations. Brecksville homeschooling and alternative schooling solutions can make all the difference in helping these kids to learn, grow, and thrive.
Ending Unproductive Schooling Cycles
Parents sometimes spend years battling their local school district for a curriculum that is effective for their child with special needs. Many schools expect children to learn the way they teach. For many kids – particularly those who aren’t neurotypical – the more effective strategy is to teach the way they learn.
Effective homeschool and alternative school solutions are available right at our Brecksville-Broadview Heights clinic, where we also offer speech therapy, occupational therapy, and ABA therapy, as well as social groups, day programs, vocational assistance and more.
An effective homeschool/alternative school solution for your child is one that is going to allow your child:
- To progress at his/her own pace.
- Build on existing reading, writing and math skills.
- Offer an appropriate level of challenge and accommodation, depending on the child’s unique skillsets.
- The ability to actively learn through exploration and discovery.
- A safe, supportive environment in which to learn new skills.
- The ability to balance learning with fun.